Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The birth certificate...

Ok, so as we all know, you need a birth certificate to go to school. Not the pretty one from the hospital, but the official one from the courthouse. Yes, I knew this. I also knew that I did not have Jacks and that I needed to go to the courthouse before we registered him for school.
So, since I was off of work the day of registration, I knew that I was going to have to go to the courthouse to pick it up before we went to register him. All fine.
Ok, so here starts the glitches...1. My van broke. unexpectedly which is another story all together but bottom line ruined our week vacation and also complicated getting to court house. No big deal, my mom let me use her car. So, I loaded all of the kids up and we went to Princeton.
As we are walking up to the courthouse, there were some inmates from the local jail doing some yard work or building maintenence outside (why you ask...I dont know...). So, Jack says "Hey mom, who are those people." And me, being the idiot that I am say "oh those people are in jail and they are making them clean the buildilng."
In my defense I thought it would be teaching the lesson of dont go to jail or you have to clean the building. What happened in actuality was the kids started clinging to my legs and screaming and crying that there were criminals and robbers outside and were scared...Why did I not think that one through...
So, they refused to walk around to the back of the building where the ramps were (for the stroller) so I had to life the giant stroller up, what felt like 100 steps to get into the courthouse.
2nd obstacte, was going through the metal detectors. That TOTALLY freaked the kids out! UGH.
So, finally we were in! SUCCESS!...I thought. Well, we get inside and I give the lady Jack's name, birthday, etc. She is looking...and looking and looking and then she says "are you sure that is his birthday?" I think about it for a minute and say "yes, that is definitely his birthday." Then she says "Well, what hospital was he born at..." and I say "provena, in Urbana......."
As I am saying those words, I realize that I am at the WRONG courthouse! DUH, Jack was born in Champaign County, not Bureau County!
So this horrible, stressful trip was all in vain and to make it worse I then had to proceed to registration like an idiot and sign my kid up for school w/ no birth certificate!
Clearly not winning mom of the year today...

No comments:

Post a Comment